Monday, April 23, 2012

Spring Sadness

Please don't read my title wrong.  Today's challenge at Hand Stamped Sentiments is about SPRING!


I'm super happy about spring's arrival, super sad about some of the products on my pages that will retire May 30.  I strayed away from the flower and tree images, and headed to another favorite spring event...parent day at my youngest's classroom.  This is our one day to go into the classroom and see what they've been talking about all year.  I found four pictures I loved and decided to do a two page layout.  Take a look:


Okay, now on to the sad part:  Stampin' Up released their retiring list of stamp sets just over a week ago, and I was a bit sad that some of my favorite stamps are going.  Well, going for them, staying for me!...you'll see I used some other retired products.  Here's a closer up of the left page:

The base is Sahara Sand, layered with a piece of retired DSP (the polka-dot), and then a piece of DSP from the Just Eat Cake pack.  (I'm away from my craft area, so I apologize if I forget names. I think this is what that pack is called.) I love the lined paper!--I would take an entire pack of this paper.  Here's the lower corner closer up:

I used the set You're Just My Type-love how it coordinated with the second picture.  I stamped with Crumb Cake and cut it out. Then used a sentiment from the set and used the A to Z stamp to create the "paper."  Sadly, A to Z is going, but as long as my girls are in school, it'll stick around in my room.  I journaled using the School Lines stamp (also going...sad face) and then used a set called Calendar Letters and Numbers that has been retired to stamp my message.  I usually am a "has to be lined up" stamper, but since a four year old's writing is never perfect, I thought that this didn't need to be either! The heart is from the Owl Punch and I added a little rhinestone.  Here's a look at the upper portion of the page:


I added the date with a stamp from the Notes and Details set...you guessed it...retiring!  I can't wait to see what Stampin' Up comes up, I hope they think of us Scrappers!  I added the little notes using the School Lines and the letter set again and used a library clip to add them on.  On to the right side of the layout:


There's a "splice" in the notebook DSP, but I didn't want the "red" part of the notebook carried over.  I had to pick my battle!  A closer view of the top details:


Again more notes on each picture.  PARENT is from the Timeless Type dies.  The apple is stamped from Tart and Tangy, also retired but I love this apple image!  day is cut with the Simple Letter dies.  I used the A to Z to stamp Crumb Cake ink onto the Sahara Sand card stock. A closer view:


Well, if you've read this to the end pat yourself on the back.  Sorry, for the long post! This year's parent day is on the 7th, and she gets to do a science fair project...can't wait!

Head over and see what the other design team members have come up with...I'm sure someone stayed with the flower/tree image.  We'd love to see what you can create!  Last week we only had two crafters who played along. :(  Challenge blogs are what get me in my craft room, keeps me crafting...sane, and gives me inspiration by seeing all the creativity out there.  Please consider playing with us!  Have a great Tuesday!

8 comments:

  1. I love your layout! So cute! And I'm sad too, about some of the stamps retiring. I love that you used A to Z in the typewriter, that was clever (and I'll miss that stamp too - so versatile!) My most-missed retired set will be Welcome Christmas...and Have A Seat. And I still miss Because I Care. Sigh!

    Have fun with the science project too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving all the great details in this layout. The alphabet set journaling is so perfect for these pages. I will miss that set too. Thanks for pointing out all the eye candy and sharing a totally different twist on the Spring theme challenge. Smiles, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. great way to show off the retired and retiring!! Your double page layout is inspiring...I sooo need to get into gear and scrapbook! Hopefully after I can get set up again after our move this summer. I adore all the fun elements of your pages, pulling the red throughout. The notebook paper and even the fun little paper clips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great scrapbook page. The colors are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobbie, seriously you are totally one of my favorite scrapbookers. LOVE these pages!! I like how they complete each other with the dsp and the cute little clips and headlines. You have such a good eye. By the way, like you, I will be missing the 12x12 individual color packs. :-( I just stocked up on my order yesterday, just in case....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your page layout!!! So many great accents and layers!!! Love the clips!!! Great Spring Layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bobbie, dying over the typewriter and the "typed" paper. Genius! This is the cutest layout. I am so sad that a lot of the school items are retiring too. Hopefully that means that better items are on their way! And welcome to HSS, so glad you are joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice take on the spring theme! I love all the details and that typewriter. Kids are cute too:-)

    ReplyDelete