Thursday, February 23, 2012

Loving Color Challenges

I'm so excited about today's scrapbook page.  Not because I think it's my best one yet, but because I used colors I would have NEVER mixed.  With two girls, I tend to use a lot of pinks and I'm also one of those that coordinates colors with the picture.  I saw this color combo at Colour Q and I loved it! 



Since Dusty Durango is a retired color (though I did find some paper) I switched it to Cajun Craze so I would have ink and embellishments (that I didn't use) to work with.  I found a picture I had taken this summer while playing with different camera modes.  Here is the page I created:





















So out of my color comfort zone but I so love it!  I've seen so many circle banners lately and I knew I wanted to incorporate one in my layout. I used some DSP but I also broke out my Delicate Doilies set and stamped using the colors and then them punched out using my 1 3/8" circle punch.  I lost some of the detail with the larger stamps from this set, but I still got the look I was looking for.  The Cajun circle is embossed using an embossing folder--it was a found scrap! Here is a closer up:
















I used Lucky Limeade twine and brad and also a Baja Breeze button.  The clouds were an afterthought.  I didn't like the blank space so I stamped a cloud from a retired set using white craft ink.  I had punched the top of the cupcake punch to recreate a cloud but the all white cloud took away from the banner.  The stamp method gave the detail I wanted without being overwhelming.

Here is closer view of the title area of the page:


















The letters and heart are retired chipboard.  Sorry, like I mentioned I'm trying to use up some supplies as my room could be on an organized episode of Hoarders.  We do still carry chipboard letters, I'm just not sure if they are in this style.  I rubbed white craft ink on them but I wasn't happy with how they looked so out came the Crystal Effects.  If you don't have this product, I HIGHLY suggest it.  It gave the letters gloss.  Love it-so I also did this to the heart after I colored it using my Cajun marker.  The Lucky Limeade detail is our Doily sizzlet, just cut done to a smaller size and keeping with the circular theme.  The white circle is stamped using Baja Breeze and a stamp from the PS I Love You set, and then I used Gray ink and the letters from the Just Perfect Alphabet set.  You also may notice that I used my Color Spritzer to liven up the gray cardstock.  Must also add that to my "addicted to" list.

Thanks for taking a look!  If you are color challenged, I highly recommend Colour Q for a jump start.  Also, I want to say thank you to the Colour Q ladies for their sweet comments on my challenge entry last week and for selecting me to be one of their Courtiers.  Blessings to you all!

8 comments:

  1. Bobbie, Your page is fabulous, love your banner! Thanks so much for joining us at the ColourQ this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Bobbie! Your use of the colors is wonderful and that banner the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The b/w pic is PERFECT with the gray background!! I really like that happy banner, it adds such a fun element to the page. :) Thanks so much for playing at colourQ this week! I love to see talented scrappers there since I'm one of their scrap DT. ;) have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that banner, beautiful and fun layout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very awesome page, Bobbie - I love it! Thank you so much for joining us at colourQ this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This page is wonderful, Bobbie! I love your mini banner and the cute clouds on the gray background. Thanks for joining us this week at the ColourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute layout! Those colors work really well, makes your banner look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little banner is so cute, love those little clouds.

    ReplyDelete