Saturday, March 10, 2012

AHHH!

That's how I feel about my baby being 5....and working with Colour Q's colors this week.  Here's the color combination:



I was so excited about it...until I got my sketch book out and was puzzled how to find a good balance with the colors.  I was having a hard time with a layout so I went to my Pinterest pinboard and found a Jana Eubank sketch to work off from.  Take a look:



This a fabulous sketch blog for when you're stuck, and instantly I knew how I wanted to use the colors. Take a look at what I did:

I love the brown and pink combination, so I decided to use those as my main colors and throw in the others as the supporting colors.  Kinda like a book.

I started with a Chocolate Chip 12 X 12, layered with a 10 X 10 piece of Blushing Bride.  On top of that, I put a pieced of retired Chocolate Chip DSP.  The picture is also layered with Blushing Bride.  The horizontal stripe of Blushing Bride DSP comes from the Nursery Nest series.  The Whisper White journal area is first stamped with a stamp from the Bring on the Cake set in Chocolate Chip ink and then carefully colored in with my Coral, Bride, and Celery markers.  I made some notes with my Coral marker and then tied on some Blushing Fibers that I pulled from the 1/2" Poly Ribbon.  There was a light switch in the picture I badly wanted to cover so the circles in the sketch became cupcakes on my page.  They are made with the Create a Cupcake set and punch and also added some of the Coral ribbon from the Saleabration catalog.  I used my large scallop punch with some Coral card stock, punched some holes with my 1/8' hole punch, layered a 1 3/4" Celery DSP (packs) circle, and then added a chipboard 5 (retired.) I colored the 5 with my Chocolate marker and then added our Dazzling Detail to it, which I also did to the sprinkles on the cupcakes.  I also slipped in a couple of strips of Celery card stock that was punched using the Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border.


All in all, I'm glad I stuck with these colors and really love how the page coordinates with her shirt and gave me a good journal area. Thanks for taking a peek!  Have a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful page, Bobbie, love the photo and the cupcakes! I know you are a proud mom. Thanks for joining us this week and sharing your page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo pretty! The 5 cupcakes, the birthday note, the entire layout and design - FABULOUS! I'm intimidated by scrapbooking - cards are hard enough - I can't imagine coming up with a whole page like you did! Thanks for leaving me a sweet note on my blog - I appreciated it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet layout, I love your cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful page! Great way to use the colors. The pink and brown together are showstoppers! Thanks for joining us at colourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great layout! Love those cupcakes! Fabulous use of the colors. Thanks for playing at the ColourQ this week!

    ReplyDelete